Information Report

How do we identify a child with having additional needs?

  • Using information received at transition from previous educational settings.
  • Liaison with relevant external agencies.
  • Analysis of previous assessments and school based assessments.
  • Medical/Health diagnosis.
  • Concerns raised by parents, pupils and/or staff.

I am thinking about choosing Town Junior for my child's school - what do I need to do?

Contact our office to make an appointment to visit the school and meet the staff. This is a great way to a get a good ‘feel’ for our school and whether it is right for your child.
For Infant to junior transfer, students without an EHCP but with a SEND need would follow the same procedure and timeline for application to primary schools through the LEA school admissions process.

For students with an EHCP looking to transfer to their chosen junior school, the timeline is moved forward and more information can be found here.

For students who are not transferring from infant school and are looking to transfer from another primary school, they would be advised to contact Town Junior and ask about the number of students on the waiting list for that particular year group first. An application to the school can be made through the LEA. More information on this can be found here.


What types of Special Educational Needs can we support at Town Junior?

We provide SEND support for students who have significant difficulties in the following four areas:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning​
  • Social, emotional and mental health​
  • Sensory and/or physical needs​

There are times when students have more complex needs that span across more than one of the areas above, and we will always endeavour to do our best to meet their needs.

What types of need fall into each category?

Although, by no means exhaustive, these lists give a good overview:


Communication & Interaction

  • Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC)
  • Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN)


Cognition & Learning​

  • Moderate Learning Difficulty (MLD)
  • Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulty (PMLD)
  • Severe Learning Difficulty (SLD)
  • Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD)
  • Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Dyslexia & Dyspraxia.


Social, Emotional & Mental Health Difficulties​

  • Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
    Adjustment Disorders
    Anxiety Disorders
    Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (‘OCD’)


Sensory and/or Physical

  • Hearing Impairment (HI)
  • Visual Impairment (VI)
  • Multi-Sensory Impairment (MSI)
  • Physical Disability (PD)

How can I help to support my child's learning and be involved in planning for my child's education?

  • Listen to and talk with your child and spend time with them finding out what they do at school.
  • Share any concerns they may have with us.
  • Check their homework regularly via use google classroom and the apps we subscribe to and ensure they are using it too.
  • Visit the school website and read the fortnightly newsletter.
  • Encourage your child to attend any additional support clubs (e.g. for boosters and breakfast).
  • Encourage your child to engage in extra-curricular activities and whole school events.
  • Read any reports sent home and support them in meeting their targets.
  • Attend all meetings such as open evenings, parents’ evenings and review meetings.
  • Contribute your views to your child’s Pupil Profile that is available annually at the point of transition.
  • Read to your child- everyday if possible.
  • Share educational experiences from baking at home to museum visits.
  • Join and visit the local library.
  • Ensure they attend regular dentist, optician, hearing checks, weight/ height checks at the appropriate intervals.

How will my child be involved in planning for their education?

  • It’s important that your child begins to accept their responsibility for their learning and makes the most of the High Quality Teaching and any other learning opportunities offered.
  • They must actively engage with their learning inside of the classroom and should attempt to complete homework assigned.
  • They should be involved in creating their pupil profile and voicing their honest opinion about what helps them learn, through student voice and participation.
  • They should undertake any relevant assessments that will inform the provision offered.

How will we match the curriculum to your child's needs?

  • Differentiated and personalised learning opportunities through High Quality Teaching strategies used in the classroom.
  • Use of personalised pupil passports that are available to all staff.
  • Additional in-class support by teaching assistants in core subjects..
  • Specific intervention sessions (English, Maths)
  • Specialised equipment provided for certain students (e.g. overlays, assistive tech, sensory items, physical adaptations.)
  • SATS access arrangements where appropriate.
  • Therapy based sessions- speech and language, occupational therapy (sensory or motor)
  • Range of concrete and visual resources.
  • Access to resources from earlier key Key Stages where appropriate.
  • Time based adaptations- e.g. learning breaks/ brain breaks.
  • Enhanced home/ school communication (e.g. home/ school communication or vocab in advance.)
  • Limited environmental adaptations(e.g. safe space.)

How will you know how your child is doing?

  • Students are assessed regularly by their Class teachers to monitor and track progress made.
  • We measure student progress against national expectations and age related expectations.
  • Data is published and shared with parents/carers via annual report.
  • Information is shared with parents during the termly Parents Evening.
  • Staff will make contact via telephone/letter/email if there are any concerns arising
  • Class teachers can refer any of their students who they may have additional concerns to their SENCO at any time or seek advise form phase or subject leaders. Appropriate action will be
  • taken and parents informed at point of need if any further intervention is needed.
  • We offer an open door policy where any parent/carer is able to make an appointment to meet with a Class teacher or SENCO to discuss their child.
  • We endeavour to work effectively as a team around the child, communicating openly and honestly with parents/carers as to the best ways in which school can support your child and ways in which you can also support at home.

If your child is on our SEND register they will be part of our provision map. For the majority of students, teachers will be able to use their ‘High Quality Teaching’ strategies to meet their needs. For students with more complex needs, a ‘Pupil Profile’ or passport will be created which incorporates appropriate strategies staff members can employ to best support your child. These are reviewed regularly with the input of parents/carers and your child. Pupils on our SEN Reg may also have individual Target plans which will be reviewed termly with parents.

How will my child be involved in planning for their education?

  • It’s important that your child begins to accept their responsibility for their learning and makes the most of the High Quality Teaching and any other learning opportunities offered.
  • They must actively engage with their learning inside of the classroom and should attempt to complete homework assigned.
  • They should be involved in creating their pupil profile and voicing their honest opinion about what helps them learn, through student voice and participation.
  • They should undertake any relevant assessments that will inform the provision offered.

How will we make decisions about how much support your child will receive?

  • Student progress is tracked and monitored throughout the year.
  • Teaching Assistants are effectively deployed across the curriculum and year groups depending on the changing needs of all of our SEND students and other priority groups.
  • Change in a student’s circumstances which has an effect on their well-being may lead to support being arranged.
  • Students with an EHCP will have appropriate support based on their specific and personalised needs produced in their documentation. This may be requested for other students via a SSPF
  • Students without a statement of need or an EHCP will have differentiated teaching and learning within the classroom using High Quality Teaching. Students will be monitored throughout the year to judge wheather additional interventions are needed.
  • Recommendations resulting from assessments by outside agencies will be implemented and monitored.

How does the school allocate resources to match the needs of students with SEND?

  • All teachers are teachers of SEND students and are trained to use High Quality Teaching strategies to ensure needs are met within the classroom.
  • Effective deployment of Teaching Assistants.
  • Small group support at point of need.
  • SATS arrangements where applicable and appropriate.
  • External agency support where applicable and appropriate.
  • Availability of specialist equipment and resources where applicable and appropriate.
  • TA’s offer specialised interventions before school and during afternoons overseen by the SENCO
  • A.M. class sessions are class teacher led.

What training/expertise does our staff have in supporting with SEND?

We follow a training plan for all staff which includes whole school training on SEND issues. All staff are part of our performance management policy.

Individual teachers and support staff can also attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the specific needs of SEND children within our care.


Examples of training received by staff in school include:

  • Safeguarding and Child Protection training.
  • HQT project with PSSS.
  • Beacon Support Behaviour Training.
  • Autism awareness and sensory overload.
  • Level One Autism.
  • Speech and Language articulation vocabulary.
  • Qualified first aiders.
  • Epi-pen and asthma.
  • Sickle cell awareness.
  • Diabetic training.
  • Down Syndrome specific training (educational psychologist)
  • Dyslexia Awareness


In addition, some staff have also been trained in:

  • SENCo national qualification – Our Inclusion Leader undertaking the the National Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator Award this year. She has a previous M.A in inclusion and holds an NPQ in leadership.


Our Lead TA for Autism has received training in:

  • Autism Tier 1, Autism Tier 2, Autism and Girls, Autism profiling.


Our ELSAs (Emotional Literacy Support Assistants) received:

  • Training from our Educational Psychologist
  • Additional training in ARFID (Eating disorders.)

What other provision can you offer my child ?

Pastoral Support (overall wellbeing):

Town Junior embodies our school values. We recognise the importance of a sound and effective pastoral system that complements our excellent academic systems. We recognise that there will be some students that will need more emotional support than others. This may vary during their time with us. Our school offers support for children who are encountering emotional difficulties through the pastoral system which primarily includes their class teacher and other year group based staff (Teaching Assistants) There is a school pastoral team led by Mrs Julie Gilmour(DSL/DHT) with SENCO and ELSA’s (Emotional literacy support assistants) attending. Class teachers can refer children for ELSA support which are usually weekly 30 minute sessions. Parental consent is sought. ELSA’s have been trained by and are supervised by our Educational Psychologist.

In addition we refer to external agencies and accomodate therapists/ agencies visiting school for individuals.

In order for us to support your child, it is important that parents/carers communicate any changes with us. You can arrange mutually convenient times to speak to class teachers or other staff about issues which may be affecting your child via the school’s main office.

Telephone: 0121 464 873



Specialist Services:

The school is supported by the Local Authority through Access to Education, which consist of four specialist services: Communication and Autism, Educational Psychology, Pupil and School Support and Sensory Support. Although the school nurse team has now been taken out of all schools in the local area, we are still able to refer to the School Health Advisory Service and other agencies depending on individual needs.

How do you know if the provision works?

  • Your child is happy in school and is making expected progress.
  • Staff, Parent and Student feedback.
  • Parent meetings (including parents evening)
  • Monitoring student progress, engagement and behaviour.
  • School will gather and share information about the progress of your child throughout the year through regular assessment opportunities. This will indicate if further interventions/ strategies are needed.
  • Specialist assessment where appropriate.
  • OFSTED reports

How will you include my child in activities outside the classroom?

  • Extra-curricular activities at lunchtime and after school are available to all. Class teachers. will communicate what is available and details are shared with parents via letters home.
  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate in out of school activities.
  • Where appropriate pre-visits are made to ensure suitability of venue and activities and reasonable adjustments are made to ensure that all students are able to participate.

My child has not previously been highlighted as SEND but I feel my child has additional needs. What should I do?

Speak to your child’s class teacher in the first instance. Telephone the school office to request an appointment or a phone call.

The class teacher will liaise with the SENCO.

If you have forms that the school need to complete for medical professionals or other agencies please supply copies via the office.

Please share any diagnoses received , out of school, with us by providing a copy. This includes but is not limited to audiologist, optometrist, physiotherapist etc.

Who are the people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

Class teachers are responsible for:

  • Providing high quality teaching which differentiates and caters for students’ needs.
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need
  • Regularly assessing and reviewing progress which is shared with parents/carers throughout the year.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any additional needs.



The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) at Town Junior School is Mrs Fiona Godwin who can be contacted through the school office.

Telephone: 0121 464 8738


Our philosophy for Inclusion is for our SEND students to be happy and safe within their learning environment, and to ensure that every child has accessibility to their education no matter what their needs are. We encourage everyone to work as a team around the child, thus ensuring they are able to fulfil their potential.

The SENCo is responsible for:

  • Overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s Inclusion policy and co-ordinating provision for students with SEND to ensure that students’ needs are effectively met.
  • Ensuring effective liaison with parents/carers of students with SEND so they are kept informed about provision for their child and actively encouraged in supporting their child’s learning and reviewing their progress.
  • Liaising with other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies that may help support your child’s learning.
  • Being a key point of contact with external agencies, especially the local authority and its support services
  • Liaising with potential next providers of education to ensure a pupil and their parents are informed about options and a smooth transition is planned
  • Working with the Headteacher and School Governors to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010) with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements
  • Ensuring that the school keeps the records of all pupils with SEND up to date (we use provision mapping and pupil profiles to do this)
  • Providing professional guidance to colleagues with the aim of securing high quality teaching of pupils with SEND.

Although the Headteacher, Mrs Adrienne smith, has delegated responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers to meet the learning needs of your child, she is still responsible for the day to day management of all aspects of the school, including the support for children with SEND.

The Governing Body is responsible for making sure that the necessary support is provided for any child who attends the school who has SEND. Governors ensure that there is a named SEND Governor to oversee SEND practices and provision within in the school, and report back to the Governing Body.

Our SEND Governor is Mr Steve Miles. He meets regularly with the SENCo.

What should I do if I have a complaint regarding SEND?

We are proud of our ‘open and honest’ communication and the positive relationships we build with our parents/carers. However, if you feel that after trying to resolve any SEND issues with the SENCo and/or the Head teacher your concerns have still not been addressed and you would like to take the matter further, please refer to our standard school complaints procedure which can be found on our school website under ‘policies’.

Where can i find more information or advice?

In addition to the school, there are other sources of information and advice. These are a few examples that have been useful to parents/carers:

‘The Waiting Room’ (TWR) is a website that aims to provide Birmingham and Solihull citizens with the best access route to both local and national services in the UK. Through a minimum number of clicks you can find the right services to meet your needs with the services being available within 24 Life Domain areas. TWR makes it easy to link directly to appropriate websites or even call organisations directly straight from your phone or by Skype on your PC.

The Birmingham Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provide impartial and confidential advice and support to children and young people with SEND and their parents / carers.

0121 303 5004

Forward Thinking Birmingham (formally known as CAMHS) provides mental health support for children and young people from 0 – 25, and their parents/carers. Referrals can be made by the young person, parents/carers and organisations including schools.

0300 300 0099

Parent /carers can contact the School Health Advisory Service (School nurses) directly, or referrals can be made through school.

0121 465 5457

Information and advice about autistic spectrum conditions can be found from many websites including:

Information and advice about ADHD can be found from many websites including:

Our Place Community Hub, based in Sutton Coldfield offers advice and support services to the local area, including employment support, counselling and talking therapies as well as specific support groups.



This is a nationally recognised charity that works to support people with sight loss

0303 123 9999


National Deaf Children’s Society

This is the national charity dedicated to creating a world without barriers for deaf children and young people.


British Dyslexia Association (BDA)

This is a national organisation that offers advice and support for dyslexia.


Downs Syndrome Association

A national organisation, committed to improving quality of life for people who have Down’s syndrome



This organisation focuses on speech and communication.

Where can i find Birmingham's Local Authority's Local Offer?

What do the abbreviations mean?

There are many terms used in school and the world of SEND which are be abbreviated.

Below is a glossary of some of the most used SEND terms that may help you navigate around:

ADD Attention Deficit Disorder

ADHD Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder

ASC Autistic Spectrum Condition

ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder

BESD Behavioural Emotional & Social Difficulties

CAT Communication and Autism Team

CAF / fCAF Common Assessment Framework / family Common Assessment Framework

CAMHS Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service

COP Code of Practice

CP Child Protection

CT Class Teacher

DCD Developmental Co-ordination Disorder (e.g. dyspraxia)

EAL English as an Additional Language

EHCP Educational Health and Care Plan

EP Educational Psychologist

FSM Free School Meals

HI Hearing Impairment

HQT High Quality Teaching

LAC Looked After Child

LA Local Authority

MLD Moderate Learning Difficulty

OT Occupational Therapist

PP Pupil Premium

PSS Pupil and School Support

QFT Quality First Teaching (now known as High Quality Teaching)

SaLT Speech & Language Therapy

SEN Special Educational Needs

SEND Special Educational Needs & Disability

SENCo Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator

SHAS School Health advisory Service (School nurses)

SpLD Specific Learning Difficulty (e.g. dyslexia, dyspraxia)

SS Sensory Support

TOD Teacher of the Deaf

QTVI Qualified Teacher for Vision Impairment

VI Vision Impairment